Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Throwback

Turns out college coursework takes up a heck of a lot more time than I had really planned  to set aside for it, readers. So I do apologize for the lateness and spontaneity of posting. But get pumped because I'm in a throwback mood: Let me explain.


Whilst I set up camp in Library West with nothing to occupy my time but textbooks laden with vocabulary for French illnesses and the inner-workings of impoverished slums of (nineteenth century) New York City, my parents were glamorously jet-setting up the Northeastern coast of the continental U.S. This was due, in part, to my sister's Parents' Weekend in Providence, RI. 

But, I suspect my mother's curiosity played a hand. She had never been to Newport and wished very much to see the home of heiress Doris Duke (of Duke University, naturally). While there, my parents claimed for their fashion-obsessed daughter two books and a pamphlet highlighting the 9,000 articles composing Doris Duke's notorious closet.

Holy smokes. This socialite defined fashion for the twentieth century.

From 1930 to 1990, Doris Duke blazed a trail for future fashionistas to come. Wanna see my three faves!?

1930s


Mariano Fortuny, Italy 1930



















1960s


Madame Grès, 1966

















1970s



  Givenchy, 1972





















It should be said that Doris Duke, and avid philanthropist, donated about 400 million dollars to charity- in addition to her contributions to the fashion industry, of course!

sanfranciscosentinel.com designcrisis.com, tqn.com



No comments:

Post a Comment